Metro Vancouver went into stage two water restrictions at the beginning of May, driven by the dry summer conditions, record low snowpack, and the need to protect the water system.
Now, Metro Vancouver is looking at pushing the area into stage three restrictions in June.
One of the factors that is pushing the restrictions forward is work is underway to build a new water supply tunnel through Stanley Park which will replace an existing water main that was built in the 1930s.
For the construction to move forward, the First Narrows Crossing, one of the region’s key supply pipes from the North Shore, has been out of service since last fall.
“The First Narrows Crossing is one of three major crossings that bring the water that serves the region across from the reservoirs, the Seymour, Capilano, and Coquitlam reservoirs. It’s been out of service since the fall last year. We’ve been essentially pushing water from the other two crossings,” said Linda Parkinson, Director of Policy, Planning, and Analysis in the Water Services department.
If water use increases while the crossing is offline, it could decrease water pressure and possibly affect the ability of first responders to use water for emergencies.
“Things all the way from the east working to Vancouver and Richmond and the whole region. The challenge now is that with that crossing out of service and the high temperatures coming likely in June is that we know that’s going to drive up water use,” said Parkinson.
The possible need to move up to stage three is dependant on how Metro Vancouver’s current water usage goes.
“We can bring roughly 1.4 billion litres and service the region without interruption, but last year in summer we peaked at 1.5 billion litres.”
If the region can continue to stay under the 1.4 billion litres, stage three will not be needed.
Parkinson does not see that happening though, especially with the crossing offline.
“Knowing that we wanted to save more water, that we were going to be challenged this year, that was what we did on May 1 with a view to keeping the huge 50 per cent increase that we see happen in summer to try and get a handle on that.”
The way to reduce the usage of water across the region is the strict adherence to the water restrictions.
“It’s primarily the outdoor use driven by things like lawn watering and excessive watering with irrigation systems of landscaping. That’s what’s driving most of that extra 50 per cent up to that 1.5 [litres].”
“When we hear that there’s drought forecast, we know then that there’s a bigger danger.”
With files from Dean Recksiedler

