B.C. Premier David Eby confirmed the federal government briefed the provinces and territories on trade relations with the United States in the latest round of trade talks, saying Ottawa has made what he calls “substantial progress across strategic sectors,” but has not addressed the province’s stance on selling American alcohol.
His comments come after Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston said Prime Minister Mark Carney has asked provinces to restock U.S. alcohol on their shelves as Canada finalizes a trade deal with the Americans.
A statement from Eby says B.C. stands with Team Canada, but doesn’t mention if the province’s ban on U.S. alcohol came up during the meeting.
Eby says that while no agreement will offer everything Canada is hoping for, he is hopeful about the possibility of an agreement.
The premier said last month there was “not a chance in hell” that B.C. would put American booze back on its shelves.
Other premiers say they’re optimistic about Canada’s progress in reaching a trade deal to avoid punishing tariffs from the United States, while others say they’re waiting for more details about the agreement.
Houston told reporters Wednesday that he was “optimistic” about the deal.
Scott Moe of Saskatchewan said Wednesday that he hopes both countries can negotiate a deal that would reduce U.S. tariffs on Canadian steel, aluminum, autos, and lumber.
Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette told reporters it was too soon to make a judgment call about the deal, adding that she needed more information to see whether it’s positive for her province.



